Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You?


It's a question asked so often this time of year, leading up to anniversary of 9/11.  

I was newly married and pregnant with Wyatt.  Ben and I had moved home and I was so homesick so I flew home on the 10th for a visit.  
I remember that morning I was playing with my niece (9 mos) and feeding her something, when a cousin called and told us to turn on the news.  
I will never forget standing in front of the tv, holding Grace, and feeling so sick to my stomach.
Ben was stationed at a presidential support facility and I knew that he could be in danger if the attacks didn't stop.  
Fortunately he was okay but to say he was busy over the next few months was an understatement.

I stayed "home" for 2 weeks and refused to fly home.  My sweet dad drove me to TN to meet Ben halfway.  
I went back to our new home and spent a lot of time by myself watching the news, feeling terrified often of what might happen next.

I will say that my older kids had no idea about 9/11 until last year.  I didn't have it in me to make them aware of such hate against our country.  I didn't want them to feel unsafe when traveling, and honestly I just didn't think their innocent minds could wrap around something so evil.

This year we'll be in the same place I was that day.  In the same house, on a visit "home".  I find it bittersweet to be remembering those lives lost doing the same thing I was 10 years ago.

I pray that we will never, ever again know an attack like that.  

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6


No comments:

Post a Comment